Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Julep Glam Roc and Goldie Review

I wanted to submit a belated review of two polishes from Julep's February 2014 "It Girl" subscription box:

I've been an on-again, off-again Julep subscriber for around six months.  In general, I skip their boxes because I don't have two nickels to rub together, but occasionally I will splurge and pick up some pretty, shiny polishes to cheer myself up (as my mom says, "I needed a new hat.")

Their subscription model is pretty straightforward:  You take a quiz, and are matched with one of three "style profiles."  Each style is a bit different.  Classic with a Twist generally has pretty conservative polish colors, and comes with two polishes and some sort of makeup product.  It Girl generally contains pretty funky shades, and you get three polishes and no makeup products.  At least one is a glitter almost every time.  I'd describe Boho Glam, which comes with two polishes and a makeup product, as "ugly pretty."  You get your mustard yellow, olive drab, shimmer turquoise kinds of colors here.  I'm a fan of that aesthetic, so that's the one I usually spring for.  Each month on the 20th, they send out an email to subscribers laying out the content of each box.  You have until the 24th to make any changes to your box (such as skip the month, switch to a different style profile, or pick up some box add-ons).  They ship the boxes on the 27th, at which point you're charged $19.99.  At this price point, the volume of product you're getting becomes a bit more reasonable.  The caveat here is that as of a few months ago, new subscribers can only skip boxes every six months, which is a HUGE  bummer if you're broke like me.  That said, if you don't mind (or can afford to) drop $20 a month on nail polish and makeup, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I find that Julep's polishes, while ridiculously expensive ounce-per-ounce, particularly if you're not a subscriber (at $14 for only a quarter of an ounce), are of excellent quality.  I picked up the February "It Girl" box plus a few extras because I was feeling spendy that day, evidently.  After I ordered it, I panicked a bit because I had spent about $35 that I totally shouldn't have, but I really loved all of the polishes I got.  I promptly did a manicure using Glam Roc, which is a blackened purple "stardust finish" textured polish with holographic shimmer.  It is gorgeous and I love it so, so much.  I smushed the tips before they were dry (as I am wont to do) so I hid the damage with the add-on I picked up, Goldie... which took the mani to a whole other level.  I'm pretty sure this is my favorite combination:

Goldie is a yellow-gold microshimmer in a clear base.  It actually goes on pretty sheer (so not a good stamping polish, which was disappointing), but it's easily buildable.  It seriously looks like liquid gold.  It is SO PRETTY.  It dried down and didn't change the gritty texture of the Glam Roc underneath either, which I liked.  Here's another shot in natural light:

I'm not generally one to repeat a manicure more than once, but I did this manicure again a few weeks later.  I'm planning to do a review of some of the other polishes from this box soon; they're too beautiful not to wear again.  If I have somehow inspired you to subscribe to Julep, you are welcome to use my referral link here.  You can get your first box free with the code FREEBOX (you just have to pay for shipping).

I purchased this product with my own money.  Any and all opinions expressed on "The Knoxville Paintbox" are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment